Detroit Historical Society
For 10 weeks, the Detroit Historical Society took a short break from showing and telling history...
For 10 weeks, the Detroit Historical Society took a short break from showing and telling history, to make some history of its own! The Society's flagship attraction, the Detroit Historical Museum underwent an $800,000 renovation. Today's museum visitor will have a whole new experience. New upgrades include:
- External signs to guide guests along Kirby street
- Brightly-lit pedestrian walkway from the parking lot to the museum
- New visitors guide
- New welcome center on Kirby Street
- New carpet
Not only were building improvements done, but also exhibits were renovated. New features include:
- A changing display of artifacts from the society's collections.
- Treasures of the Collection: A display of over 100 distinctive from the museums artifact collection.
- Fabulous Five: Detroit's Music Legends.
- Digital Dress: Women About Town, a interactive exhibit about how women's clothes have evolved over time.
- Automotive showplace, a rotating display of historic cars from the museums collections.
- New improvements to the museums popular exhibits including The Streets of Old Detroit and the Motor City exhibit
The Detroit Historical Museum is located at 5401 Woodward Ave. (corner of Kirby and Woodward). For more information and hours please call (313) 833-1805 or check out the website at www.detroithistorical.org.
Other Current News:
23 AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY WRITERS At the Skillman Library/National Automotive History Collection More...
NASCAR Day More...
Alliance of National Heritage Areas strongly opposes Bush Administrationís Budget Proposal More...
U.S. designates Model T birthplace a historic site More...
2005 World Forum for Motor Museums More...
Detroit Auto Pioneers Dinner More...